Biblical References For Disabilities, Healing & Suffering In God's Plan
Value with our Maker; No mistakes in the plan of God:
- Psalm 139, particularly vs. 13-16 Human value, disabilities of the womb and of life's experiences.
- Ecc. 11:5 God's work in the womb.
- Ecc. 3:11--Value.
- Isa. 29:16 Can the pot say to the potter, "He knows nothing?"
- Ex. 4:11 Moses before God re: his poor speech. God takes responsibility for the disability, and He is able to work through or overrule any disability He choose.
- Lk 14:1-24, esp. 15-24 The Parable of the Great Banquet.
- I Cor. 12:12-26 One Body, many parts.
Wholeness and Healing:
- Heb. 12:12,13 Spiritual wholeness.
- John 20:27 Jesus' resurrection body had the marks of crucifixion and the sword, not the limitations of these instruments of death. What implication might this have on our own expectations of what heaven will be like? See Phil. 3:21 & Rom. 8:18-23
- Acts 3:1-10,16 Lame=halt or disabled; c/w vs 8.
- Mark 5:24-34 What was this woman needing, and what did she get beyond what she thought she needed?
Purpose in Disability:
- John 9 That the works of God might be manifest--what ways was this true for this fellow? How might this be true for those who don't experience a physical healing? See also...
- Rom. 8:28-39 How has the work of God been displayed through the ministry of Green Pastures and through the kid's lives? In your own life through weakness and disability?
- Mt. 9:1-8 What does this have to say about Jesus' redemption of his creation and of sin? See also..
- Isa. 53:4-6 Regarding the Fall, "God planned for evil in the past, God can use it in the present, and God will triumph over it in the future. Similarly, God planned for disability, God uses it, and He will triumph over it."
- II Cor. 12:7-10 Paul's "thorn in the flesh"
Our role in bringing those with disabilities to Jesus:
- Mark 2:1-12 & Luke 5:17-26 In this case whose faith was Jesus responding to?
- Mt. 25:31-46 The parable of the Sheep and the Goats.
- Isa. 58:9-12 If you pour yourself out...and satisfy the desire of the afflicted...
- Mt. 19:13-15
Additional references to consider from the Old Testament:
- Jer. 31:8 Yahweh recognizes the needs of disabled people, and they are included in His plans for His people.
- Ps. 146:8 Yahweh aids disabled people.
- Isa. 35:5-6 Yahweh heals disabled people.
- Lev. 19:14, Deut. 27:18, Job 29:15, II Sam. 4:4 and 19:24-30 & Prov. 31:8-9 God wants us to protect and advocate for the needs of the disabled.